Sunday 8 May 2011

Welcome to Imperialism

I have been working hard this last two weeks working on a game system that I hope will allow me to play on-line against a friend of mine. The game has borrowed heavily from an old wargames book from my youth that I recently rediscovered in the cellar , 'Sea Battle Games', by P. Dunn and published by Model & Allied Publications Ltd., 1970. Yes, it is a first edition and probably bought by me at around the date of publication when I was 12-years old.

I used to play a lot of wargames but over the years the opportunity to do so has dwindled as friends and gaming colleagues have grown-up and moved on. The rise of on-line gaming opportunities and the discovery of the VASSAL Engine (http://www.vassalengine.org/) has reignited that old appetite but has given it a new edge. Instead of looking for on-line games to play, I decided to develop my own.

Whilst re-reading Dunn's book it struck me that some of his ideas about a Hypothetical World War Game, based primarily around Naval rules, would make an appropriate and excellent place to start.

So, my intention is to use this blog as a means of charting and recording my endeavours in achieving that end.

No comments:

Post a Comment